Electronic Commerce (eCommerce) is one of the most important aspects of the internet to emerge. It allows people to exchange goods and services immediately and with no barriers of time or distance. Any time of the day or night, you can go online and buy almost anything you want – even in your underwear.
Current eCommerce statistics state that 40 percent of worldwide internet users have bought products or goods online via desktop, mobile, tablet or other online devices. This amounts to more than 1 billion online buyers and is projected to continuously grow.
Some key components to the eCommerce Model:
- The online store
- The shopping basket
- The SECURE Gateway checkout
- The online customer data collection
- The shipping methods
- The credit card or payment methods
- The merchant account with your bank
The road to creating a successful online store can be a difficult and confusing one if you are unaware of the concepts and principles behind eCommerce. The trick to entering this market smoothly is to Plan. To be successful you will need to have an experienced E-commerce partner. Thats where Fox Valley Web Design comes in.
As a creative branding firm, Fox Valley Web Design has worked with a lot of E-commerce shopping carts over the past 19 years to help our clients achieve great results selling their products securely online. Because of this, we know the ins, outs, ups and down of the most popular shopping carts available. We continue to work & support different E-commerce platforms including the Pinnacle Cart, Zen Cart, Miva Merchant, Magento, Zen Cart, Yahoo Store, Volusion and more.
WooCommerce recently overtook Magento as the top e-commerce platform on the web. There are many reasons why this happened but one of the biggest benefits of this is WooCommerce’s support base. Because Woocommerce is supported by so many companies and developers, finding support is relatively easy. Also WooCommerce is an open source system, more developers have access to WooCommerce and are able to develop more features into Woo shopping cart. Woo is based on PHP, one of the top three web code languages, so finding a PHP developer is easier than finding a ColdFusion or Ruby developer. After years of using different solutions we have narrowed down a few shopping carts that have become our go-to-E-commerce-cart solutions that we recommend to our clients due to ease of integration, low setup costs, ease of use for our clients, and the many features offered by the carts:
- WooCommerce plugin shopping cart for WordPress with with many extension plugins
- MarketPress plugin shopping cart for WordPress with many built-in features & limited extensions
- Pinnacle Cart is a premium, stand alone shopping cart with many built-in features
With any of these ecommerce solutions you & your staff can handle the day to day operations of the shopping cart in-house if you prefer after we get things setup. Most of our clients have us do the initial setup then turn the store over to them after a few hours training. Other clients prefer to have us handle the whole ball of wax. Either way, if you have products to sell we can help you get them online to millions of potential buyers and save you thousands of dollars in setup costs.
Cart Overviews – Which eCommerc shopping cart is right for your business?
We can help you figure that out. Below is a brief overview of some of the features available for our top 3 shopping carts. Feel free to contact us at 920-434-9772 to setup an appointment and we will give you a demo of any of our recommended shopping carts. We will match the proper cart to your current & future needs.
WooCommerce Shopping Cart Plugin for WordPress Websites
WooCommerce is the most popular eCommerce platform on the web (stats from Builtwith), so you can rest assured you’re in good company. WooCommerce is used around the world from Australia to Asia, the United States to Africa.
- Built for WordPress: WooCommerce is built to integrate seamlessly with WordPress Content Management Systems.
- WordPress Themes: WooCommerce easily integrates with you existing WordPress theme
- Sell anything, anywhere: From real products and digital downloads to subscriptions.
- Mobile friendly: Designed to ensure your store and products look as good on a desktop computer as they do on your customers mobile phones.
- Scalability: WooCommerce can scale with you as you grow your business. From selling one product to thousands of products.
- Own your data: Keeping your data independent of any third party software platform gives you complete control of your business and future.
- Secure code: WooCommerce is audited by Sucuri, the industry leader in plugin security.
- Worldwide community: With more than 350 contributors to WooCommerce and over 7 million downloads to date.
- Open source: WooCommerce is 100% open source which allows you to benefit from an active and growing community of contributors.
- Free and paid extensions / plugins marketplace: With over 300 free and paid extensions to choose from, we can extend your WooCommerce store with a vast number of features and integrations.
- Payment Gateways: PayPal, Authorize.net, First Data, PayFast, stripe, Amazon Payments
- Flexible Shipping Options: WooCommerce makes shipping, payments, postage and international delivery easier with impressive features built into core
- Additional shipping options available through extensions: Local Pickup Plus, Per Product, Table Rate Shipping, USPS Shipping, UPS Shipping, FedEx Shipping, Ship to multiple addresses and Role based payment/shipping methods.
- Other popular extensions: Print Invoices & Packing lists, Shipment tracking, Advanced notifications and Postcode/Address Validation.
- Integrated Marketing & SEO: WordPress is recognized in the industry as one of the best platforms for SEO practices
- Discount Coupons and codes: Choose to enable or disable the use of coupons to run sales and promotions
- Product reviews: Enable or disable the ability for people to leave product reviews on your store.
- Control your taxes: Taxes can be calculated based on your customer’s shipping address, billing address or your stores base address.
- Geo-location enabled taxes: Based on your location, WooCommerce can automatically calculate major country and state tax rates.
- Additional options: Social Media Integration, Live sales feed, Product bundles, Smart Coupons, Follow-up emails, Google product feed, Wishlists, Newsletters, Points and rewards, Sell Products via Facebook, Cart notices, Cart Add-ons and One-page checkout.
- There is more….Contact us at 920-434-9772 for a live WooCommerce demo
MarketPress eCommerce for WordPress Websites
Sell everything from digital downloads to physical goods. MarketPress is the eCommerce plugin that does it all – no extensions required but add-on are available. MarketPress offers the easiest way to sell anything online with tons of built-in core features and simple configuration. Whether you want to set up an individual storefront online or an entire eCommerce network for stores, MarketPress is the go-to solution for WordPress and Multisite SuperPowers. Guide customers through browsing your products to adding items to their cart, and then on to checkout and delivery. You can even provide updates on the status of customer orders.
- Built With Customer Feedback: MarketPress brings together hundreds of hours of development time, along with member requests and feedback. MarketPress is growing into a strong competitor to WooCommerce.
- Automatic Adaptive Design: MarketPress is developed to work flawlessly with any well-coded WordPress theme.
- Sell Anything: Whether you want to sell custom t-shirts you designed and screen printed yourself in your garage, downloadable copies of your band’s latest EP, or even your time as a consultant, MarketPress makes it all possible.
- All Shapes, Sizes, Colors And Materials: Variations have been written from the ground up, so now you can create unlimited and multiple colors, sizes and materials for any of your products and add unique product images to match. Then display your products in a beautiful, built-in gallery.
- Bundled Payment Gateways: Accept payments using 16 popular payment processors, including 2Checkout, Authorize.net AIM, Bitpay, eWay shared payments, eWay Rapid 3.0 Payments, iDEAL, Manual Payments, Skrill Moneybookers, PayPal Payflow Pro, Paymill, PayPal Chained Payments, PayPal Express Checkout, PIN, Simplify Commerce by MasterCard, Stripe and WePay.
- Manage the Checkout Process: Enable or disable guest checkout and even sell to specific countries or anyone in the world.
- One-Page Checkout: Did you know the average customer is 69% likely to abandon their shopping cart? With our simple new one-page checkout process you won’t become another statistic
- Google Analytics: We’ve made sure your entire site or network are both Google Universal Analytics and Google Analytics eCommerce compatible.
- Limit Digital Downloads: Choose how many times a customer can download a file they have purchased.
- Social Settings: Encourage customers to share your products with their friends and family with Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter shares buttons.
- Automatic Taxes: Simple tax settings make it easy to set rates, create exceptions, apply taxes to downloadable products, tax before or after the cost of shipping and tax based on location.
- Ship Anywhere: Ship anywhere in the world with confidence. Use flat rate shipping or cater to specific distribution logistics using table or weight rates.
- Hide Out of Stock Products: When a product isn’t available, automatically set a product to draft so it doesn’t display.
- Coupons (Add-on Extension): Attract new shoppers and increase sales with coupon based marketing campaigns.
- PDF Invoicing (Add-on Extension): Allow users to generate a good-looking invoice instead of – or in addition to – a standard invoice email.
- There is more…Contact us at 920-434-9772 for a live MarketPress demo
Pinnacle Cart eCommerce Shopping Cart
More built-in features than any other cart. Their the eCommerce software / shopping cart you can use from the idea stage all the way to a business selling billions a year in revenue, without ever needing to find a new provider. Pinnacle Cart is 100% customizable, all the way down to the source code, allowing developers to use their technology as much as we’d like.
- Beautiful Themes
- Website Builder for “About Us” or “Contact Us” pages
- Powerful Marketing Tools
- Search Engine Optimization
- Integration with Quickbooks
- Sell On Facebook
- Payment Tokenization
- Drift Marketing
- PA-DSS / PCI Compliant
- Social Media Platform
- Powerful Order Management
- Recurring Billing
- 100% US based support
- Mail Chimp Integration
- VIPparcel – USPS Postage
- There is more….Contact us at 920-434-9772 for a live Pinnacle Cart demo
What else do I need to know about starting a eCommerce website?
- Merchant Accounts
- Secure PCI Compliant Hosting
- Shipping with FedEx, UPS, USPS or flat rate
- Professional Product Photos
- Product Videos
- How To Videos
- Order Fullfillment
- Policies: Store Policies, Return Policy, Shipping Policy
- Customer Support
- Coupons & Discounts
- Newsletter Signup